Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Topic #11--"Censor" Entry


When I think about the word censor, my own inner critic comes to mind. I am a formally trained flutist and self-taught artist. I began playing flute when I was nine--with pure joy and unfettered spirit. This spirit remained fairly well intact until my teenage years when I studied at Tanglewood and then moved on to furthering my studies at a well-known school for music. For me, the training was valuable but also served to kill my natural spirit and love for my instrument and the music I could make with it. Thoughts of proper technique, phrasing, breathing, you name it would fill my head, almost paralyzing me. It took a while for me to "unlearn" this and still I often find it hard to quiet my censor that was so well seasoned.

As I persue the visual realm of the arts I am so determined not to let that happen again. I am trying to preserve my inner muse and natural love and spirit for making art. That is why I believe I will remain self-taught, as I find so much joy in it now and want to feel that way in future years.

This digital piece represents protecting my natural passion and joy for making art--protecting myself and my art from external critics that could cause my internal censor to become too loud, dampening my spirit. For now I am staying in my own little snow globe or bubble.

p.s. I am speaking about my personal experiences only. I realize that not everyone has this same kind of experience with their academic pursuits.

0 comments