Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Topic #8--"Minimalism" Entry


What a simply gorgeous, peaceful work from Gillian.

She says, "I was excited by this word because I love minimalist art - there's something remarkable about the negative spaces that are created - they give balance and tension to a piece of artwork. The spare and intuitive art of the Japanese is probably the most ancient of minimalist artforms. Even their gardens are thoughtfully created and peaceful. Just a carefully placed rock and some raked gravel give shape and form and provide a focus for thought and contemplation.

Quite fitting then that I should use the leaf of the Gingko for my minimalist artwork. It wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I found a wonderful photo of a leaf on the Stock Xchng and just knew that it was perfect for this challenge, but this leaf was moved, altered, rotated and blended ad nauseum until something just clicked! Okay, it would have been more minimalistic to use just one leaf, but I felt daring....LOL.

Now I want to try more minimalist art. That was fun fun fun."

4 comments