Saturday, January 13, 2007

Topic #35--"Graffiti" Entry



From Amanda!:

"I have taken a small section of a photo and worked with it in Photoshop to create a totally different digital art work. This is the first time I've done this, rather than work with a photo using filters and adjustment levels to digitally "process" the image.

This is the original image with the subject's face blacked out as she was just someone in the street, and I don't want to invade anyone's privacy. For my piece I selected the large graffiti in white, the darker graffiti to the right of the woman's head and the blue patch of paint, presumably covering something obscene. I also chose the layers of chipped paint on the right hand bottom corner of the wall.

I moved all these components over into a new document and began to play. I knew I wanted softer colours because I wanted to reduce the harsh masculine look that I think graffiti has. In the end I came up with something I am reasonably happy with. My main criticism comes from the fact that I utilized the magic wand to choose sections of the image to then fill with colour. This tool is one of my favourites, except that it actually selects on a pixel-by-pixel basis. Even with some blur this is still visible to my eye, and other than actually going in to the areas with the paint brush, I don't know how to fix it. I am thinking of posting this over at the Photoshop Support Group on Flickr to see if anyone can help me out. "

3 comments